Sunday, January 2, 2011

book review- The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free






I read a preview about this book in the Chicago Tribune a few months ago. I was so excited to be able to finally order it on Amazon! I read through the entire book, made notes, used my highlighter. Have you heard of Anne Byrn, the Cake Doctor? She takes regular grocery store mixes and fancies them up into something special. Just for us, she has worked her magic with gf cake and brownie mixes! She does not specify which mix to buy, but she does reference Betty Crocker a few times :) I recently ordered a case of Pamela's yellow cake mix from Amazon so I have been using those. (Although the book calls for a 15 ounce box of cake mix and Pamela's bag
is 21 ounces and I've had to count out 30 tablespoons to get the right amount for the recipe). Anne has color pictures at the front of the book for each baked goodie! Chapters are layer cakes, bundt cakes, pan cakes, cupcakes & muffins, brownies/bars & cookies, and frosting.

I had just recently bought a bundt pan so I tried the caramel melted ice cream cake first. It was so easy, and really came out nicely. I overbaked it just slightly and will be more careful next time. My family loved the cake! It had a nice crumb, sliced well, was moist, and looked really pretty! Here's a pic:



Right now I am baking Kathy's Cinnamon Breakfast Cake- with 2 layers of struesel! My kids are very excited about the Cookies & Cream cake- truth is they both called it an Oreo cake. I didn't have enough whipping cream for the frosting so we will try that layer cake later this week.

I definitely recommend this book. I think it would be a great gift for someone new to the GF life, and much appreciated by those of us looking to make a fantastic dessert with a pre-made mix. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message letting me know you were here. If you have a great suggestion for GF dining let me know that, also.